Mental health is a crucial part of our overall well-being and it affects how we think, feel, and behave. It is important to prioritize mental health because it plays a key factor in the foundation for a happy and productive life. In honor of mental health awareness month, we’ve put together 10 easy mindfulness techniques to improve mental health and well being.
1. Practice deep breathing: Take a few minutes to focus on your breath, inhaling deeply while extending the stomach outward and exhaling slowly while sucking the stomach in. This can help reduce stress and anxiety.
2. Start your day with gratitude: Spend a few moments each morning thinking about something you're grateful for. This can help shift your mindset into positivity.
3. Take a mindful walk: Go for a walk and focus on your five senses. Notice the colors, smells, and textures around you. Be in the present.
4. Do a body scan: Lie down or sit comfortably and focus on each part of your body, noticing any areas of tension and consciously relaxing them.
5. Spend time outside: Connect with nature, whether it's in a park or your own backyard, get some sunshine. Try taking short breaks throughout the day to stretch, move your body, or simply take a few deep breaths of fresh air.
6. Practice yoga or stretching: Stretching can help release physical tension and promote relaxation. Stretching is also said to increase serotonin levels which help stabilize our mood, reduce stress, and promote happy feelings.
7. Do a gratitude journal: Write down three things you're grateful for each day at the end of the day. This can help cultivate a sense of positivity and appreciation while breaking any negative cycles created throughout the day.
8. Practice self-compassion: Treat yourself with kindness and understanding, and remind yourself that everyone makes mistakes. Try writing down positive affirmations that you can speak into existence at the start of each day.
9. Practice mindful communication: Pay attention to how you communicate with others and try to be present in the conversation.
10. Set boundaries: Learn to say no when necessary and prioritize your own needs and well-being.
Mental health issues impact millions of people every year. Education and awareness about mental health can help prevent mental illness by promoting healthy habits and coping strategies. This month is about acknowledging, empowering, and supporting individuals to prioritize their mental health.